Monday, March 9, 2015

Content


     The anticipation for this past weekend has been years in the making!  My lil bro, Bradley, finally married the girl of his dreams!
     It was just over a year ago that Lauren and Bradley got engaged at the Grand Canyon.  Bradford and I came to town for Tyler and Janna’s wedding shower and, luckily, the newly engaged couple made it back to town before we left. 
Janna recently told me about the last time she saw him.  We were about to leave the restaurant, and Bradford told her he’d see her at her wedding.  They both did a cute little dance. :’)  Who knew that would be the last trip we took to MS together.
     At Bradley and Lauren’s rehearsal dinner, each person in the wedding party was to get up and say a little something about the bride and groom.  I don’t normally get nervous in front of a crowd, but for whatever reason I kept saying how much I enjoyed growing up with Bradley “at the house.”  HAHA!  I mean, we had fun in public too, unless you count that time I thought I would throw him out of my car while he was hanging half of his body out of the window as I was driving down the interstate. Everything but that.  And maybe the time he punched me in the mouth. ;) Something I forgot to mention was how happy they always are talking about one another.  Bradley and I have had countless conversations where he would simply say, “She’s awesome” with such a cute little grin on his face.  There’s nothing in this world that brings me greater joy for him than to see the way that Lauren looks at him and talks about him.  I know how much she admires and respects him.  {I will never forget being looked at and made to feel the same way!} Even better than that, I know how much she loves God and wants to please Him, and that will naturally overflow into her marriage.  Something else I forgot to say at the rehearsal is that I’m SO GLAD that Lauren found SOME WAY to get to be my sister!  Whatever it takes, right?! :)
     Weddings have always been emotional for me.  Most girls attend them and at some point in their lives wonder if they’ll ever find love.  And then there are the weddings you attend after you HAVE found love and can’t wait for your own!  Even still, you’ll go to some after being married and have great memories of your own wedding to look back on.  Some of us even go to weddings after our spouses have passed on.  Hands down, those are the toughest. 
I was so thrilled to have a front row seat {minus the chair, add the high heels and a few stairs} and witness these two lovebirds letting the whole world know how serious they are about their commitment to one another.   It blows my mind how I can be so overjoyed that I can’t stand it, yet so ridiculously sad.  Tears were flowing because I was so thrilled that my brother has found the one whom his soul loves.  He has a partner in this life to build him up when the world tries to bring him down.  He has someone to share the best and worst moments in life with.  He has the most adorable mom for my future nieces/nephews!  Time kind of froze in the moment I heard them say, “As long as we both shall live.”  Tears also flowed as my mind went back to my own wedding day, and I couldn’t help but compare the happiness on their faces with the unknowing joy on mine and Bradford’s faces.  No clue!
     But you know what is cool?  We did it.  We were faithfully committed to one another as long as we both lived.  Even knowing what I know now, I wouldn’t change it.  I’d marry him a million times over.
     The prayer I began March 7, 2015 is one I will continue—that they will not know the pain of losing one another for a very, very long time.  That they will grow old together, even when their legs don’t work like they used to before…

     One of my favorite inspirations has become Michelle Steinke, founder of One Fit Widow.  She lost her husband in 2009 and has found numerous ways to encourage others who find themselves walking a path similar to hers.  She recently remarried, and before she did, she and her fiancé had this to say--He told her he’s never known anyone who loves more completely and more deeply than her.  She laughed and said, “You don’t know very many widows, do you?”  There really is a unique perspective, deep sensibility, and keen awareness of time, or lack thereof, which is granted to survivors.  We’re aware of the value of each moment we have.  In recent months I discovered that although I gave every bit of my love away, I’m pretty sure I still have a whole lot more where that came from.
     I hope that wherever you are on your love map, that you will be satisfied and content in being who God wants you to be.  He takes care of His children and provides for them in ways that only He can.  Lonely?  He’s got you covered and is with you {Matthew 28:20}.  Abundantly happy?  He’s right there with you and wants you to trust in Him {Proverbs 16:20}.  Aggravated and disappointed?  Well..are you clinging to Him or more concerned with yourself and your own agenda?
I pray that whatever your circumstances are that you are able to allow God to “do His thing” without getting in the way.  I hope that you will look to Him, and trust that He will provide you with exactly what you need, exactly when you need it.  I pray, most of all, that you will be content.
Now godliness with contentment is great gain.
1 Timothy 6:6

No comments:

Post a Comment